Septic arthritis is inflammation of a joint due to a bacterial or fungal infection. The condition is an inflammation of a joint that's caused by infection. Typically, septic arthritis affects one large joint in the body, such as the knee or hip. However, septic arthritis can also affect multiple joints if the infection rapidly spreads.
Most commonly, septic arthritis affects a single joint, but occasionally more joints are involved. Septic arthritis is also called infectious arthritis.
Causes of Septic Arthritis:
Septic arthritis can be caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi. The most common causes of septic arthritis are bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus and Haemophilus influenzae.
The following conditions increase your risk for septic arthritis:
- Artificial joint implants
- Bacterial infection somewhere else in your body
- Chronic illness or disease (such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and sickle cell disease)
- Intravenous (IV) or injection drug use
- Medications that suppress your immune system
- Recent joint injury
- Recent joint arthroscopy or other surgery
What are symptoms and signs of septic arthritis?
- Pain from the affected joint. The pain tends to be severe and usually develops quite quickly. Any movement of the joint is usually very painful.
- Swelling usually develops over the affected joint which is usually very tender.
- Redness of the overlying skin is typical if the joint is near to the skin surface.
- Feeling generally unwell with fever (high temperature) is common.
Septic Arthritis Treatment India:
Septic arthritis is treated with antibiotics and drainage of the infected joint (synovial) fluid from the joint.
Optimally, antibiotics are given immediately. Often, intravenous antibiotics are administered in a hospital setting. The choice of antibiotics can be guided by the results of the culture of joint fluid. Until those results are known, empiric antibiotics are chosen to cover a wider range of possible infectious agents.
Arthroscopy can be used to irrigate the joint and remove infected joint lining tissue. If adequate drainage cannot be accomplished with joint aspirations or arthroscopy, open joint surgery is used to drain the joint. After arthroscopy or open joint surgery, drains are sometimes left in place to drain excess fluid that can accumulate after the procedure.
Septic arthritis treatment cost in India is less compared to other western countries.
Ortho One orthopedic hospital is a leading orthopedic center in India. Ortho-One offers advanced treatment at affordable rate.
Please visit: www.ortho-one.in